In July 1898, work began on one of the most important naval bases on the American continent. Engineer Luis Luiggi, who had experience of similar work in Europe, was responsible for making this enclave of a rapidly growing naval force a reality.
His first name was Arsenal del Puerto Militar. The first dam had a usable length of 215.30 meters and a width at the entrance of 26 meters at high tide and 23.54 meters at the threshold. At this point the maintenance work for the growing sea fleet began.
It was under the Presidency of the Nation of Manuel Quintana in 1905 when the Minister of War and the Navy, by Ordinance No. 74, imposed the name Arsenal on the headquarters of the military port on March 22nd defined as the anniversary day.
Construction of the N2 Careening Dam, one of the largest in America, began in 1911 with plans by Luiggi and under the direction of engineer Luis Augusto Huergo. This was decided after the Navy picked up the battleships ARA Rivadavia and Moreno.
It occupies an area of 13,543 hectares for a total area of 122,777 m and employs more than 1,400 people who work on the maintenance and repair of the units dependent on Sea Fleet Command. Reporting to Maintenance and Arsenals Headquarters The organic structure of Arsenal Puerto Belgrano consists of two sub-departments: Production and Administration, on which 11 and 6 departments, respectively, depend. These are: electronics workshop, central missile workshop, weapons workshop, powder magazines and specialized ammunition workshops, workshop for optics and fire protection, production control, electricity workshop, machine workshop, vehicle workshop, engine workshop, ship workshop, IT, infrastructure, accounting, environmental security, consumables and personnel.
It is supplemented by the auditing and quality assurance departments; Planning and budgeting; and commercial third parties. Despite the ebb and flow of national politics and the continued decline in its capabilities, the Argentine Navy continues to have a world class industrial base on this basis and has carried out its work with discretion and efficiency to keep the ships in a ready condition. the institution. (Luis Pieiro)
Copyright © Grupo Edefa SA Reproduction, in whole or in part, of this article is prohibited without the prior authorization of the publisher.