As part of the company’s strategy of adapting its solutions to the new demands of the marine industry, and in line with the digitization process that we are experiencing specifically for military ships, Detegasa selected that of the Spanish Navy and Navantia for the development of the Digital Twin, which will be used in the new F110 frigates will be implemented.
Detegasa can implement the 4.0 technology in all devices and systems it supplies, including:
Waste treatment systems: wastewater treatment plant, oil water separator, ballast water treatment plant, incinerator, compressor, mill. Water treatment systems: hydrophore groups, heaters, UV sterilizers and other auxiliary materials. Fuel refueling systems: For helicopters, lifeboats or vehicles. Special designs: fire fighting systems with AFFF foam, cooling devices for combat systems and folding bulwarks, etc.
We have developed a team of pilots in which we have implemented a digital twin with the following technologies:
1. Simulation and support models.
2. Virtual and Augmented Reality.
4. Assistant to the language team.
This pilot project was completed at the end of 2020. The integration of the team into the Navantia showroom at the CIS facilities in Ferrol is scheduled for the beginning of this year.
The steps that were followed for the development of the digital twin are as follows:
1. Identify which parameters are relevant for the operation and maintenance of the device: pressures, power consumption, flow rates, temperature. For anyone who thinks this is critical and helps us to determine the status of the device or detect any errors that occur or will occur in the device, a sensor must be built in with which we can monitor them.
2. Design the devices and develop the digital model. For this purpose, the 3D model of the equipment is developed, including all relevant components for the operation and maintenance of the equipment.
The 3D model must be linked to all device information, component sheets, plans, diagrams, manuals and other data of interest.
3. Development of operation and maintenance models for devices. This step consists of completing and digitizing the mathematical and physical models used to design the equipment to simulate its operation. The simulation makes it possible to predict future states of the devices and also to implement the so-called virtual sensors, which allow us to carry out virtual measurements that would otherwise be impossible or complex, and also to act as redundant sensors for the existing sensors of the equipment, Comparison of the measured values with those of the equipment. simulated.
A maintenance model has also been developed that, based on the data from the sensors present in the device and the maintenance and troubleshooting instructions that are part of the device manuals, easily shows which errors are occurring or in their vicinity are occurring in the team and how we are you can solve:
In line with the advent of the Internet of Things, Detegasa also decided to develop this technology for its computers. To this end, the pilot equipment was equipped with IoT capacity so that the status of the equipment can be remotely checked from any device with internet access. The data is stored on the device itself and also in the cloud, whereby availability is always guaranteed. In this way, the actual and simulated values as well as the errors and alarms can be displayed in a web environment on an intuitive template of the device in real time and in real time. The saved historical values:
AUGMENTED REALITY ASSISTANT
In parallel to the previous technologies, Detegasa developed an augmented reality application to complete the digital transformation of the devices, which shows us all maintenance tasks on the devices themselves and is divided into simple animated tasks on the devices themselves. This application can be run on any newer phone or tablet (iOS or Android) or preferably with Microsoft Hololens 2 glasses. That is, the maintenance models allow us to identify or anticipate the most common faults in the device and this wizard RA tell us step by step on the equipment itself how to solve it.
ADVANTAGES OF DIGITALATION AND THE DIGITAL TWIN
The integration of all of the aforementioned technologies offers the following advantages:
– The digital model gives us easy access to all relevant information.
– The simulation model enables us to have a twofold goal: on the one hand, to predict the future condition of the device, for example when a tank will be emptied, when the heating will reach the desired temperature, when a device will run out of fuel and, on the other hand, simulate the current condition of the device and check it Whether the device is working as expected.
– The maintenance model allows us to identify the failures that are occurring in the equipment or are about to occur and to prescribe the solutions.
– The RA application explains step by step how to correct errors or carry out preventive maintenance work or commissioning.
– The IoT capacity allows us to know the current and historical status of the devices from any location through any device with internet access.
In this way, the two main goals that Detegasa is pursuing with digitization and which represent a major competitive advantage are achieved:
– Improve the operation, efficiency and availability of the devices.
– To make the monitoring and maintenance of the devices much easier.
Copyright © Grupo Edefa SA Reproduction, in whole or in part, of this article is prohibited without permission and prior authorization from the publisher.